Friday, May 15, 2009

Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October #1

The Hunt for Red October is a brilliant piece of literature. I saw the movie several years ago, and since then, I've been itching to read the book. The great thing about Tom Clancy is that what is in the text is always far different than the movies and video games, particularly in the detail. There are plot differences as well, but not so much you'd notice. You'd have to look for them. In the beginning of the book, we are introduced to the ideas and basic character, not necessarily in great detail of Captain Ramius and his submarine, the Red October. The politics that can be found in every Clancy novel along with the action appear in the beginning here too. In comparison to Clear and Present Danger, the politics don't come into the picture as fast, but I think they come in too fast in both novels. However, that is of course because I am assuming that the politics will add tension to the plot as his novels usually do, so I guess I'll find out in the next bit of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment