Friday, May 15, 2009

Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October #4

Reading a Clancy novel is literally an experience. There is no other word describing his level of detail, his character and plot development. Jack Ryan really doesn't change from book to book. It's merely the situations he are in that change. Politics are always in the way, he's always performing ridiculous stunts, and being the perfect diplomat. That's before Hollywood gets the rights for a screenplay too. This really was a brilliant experience. I just wish I could have been there, because I felt like I have been. There is something fake when you watch a movie, because you see someone else's interpretation of a text. With Clancy's books, he gives you enough detail that you can't veer too far away from what his thought was, while at the same time, making you bring the story to life. It will not at all surprise me if I start making references to the minor experiences of Ryan in the novel, and then claiming that I witnessed them. Obviously, this won't happen right away, but it feels so real, that down the road when my I try to remember back far enough that my memories of my imagination and my actual past have meshed, I will not be able to tell the difference. The Hunt for Red October is truly brilliant.

1 comment:

  1. Nice points comparing the experience of watching a movie vs. reading the book. It's interesting how your imagination, unimpeded by anyone else's interpretation (the actors, director, cinematographer) is really the most entertaining and rewarding!

    ReplyDelete